Saturday, June 21, 2014

Another Resource: The American College of Rheumatology

One of the most common questions that I am asked is, "How do I find a good doctor to manage my Sjogren's syndrome?"

Which is a GREAT question. Because this is a difficult thing to do, not because there isn't a lot of good doctors out there -- and there are -- but because each of us has a different personality, and different health specialties and issues; physicians and patients alike.

Most often, rheumatologists treat patients with Sjogren's, so this medical specialty is where the search usually begins for diagnosis and treatment.

I've posted earlier about Sjogren's syndrome specific clinics, read this, but have found another potential resource for those looking for a rheumatologist. It's the membership directory of The American College of Rheumatology:
The American College of Rheumatology's mission is advancing rheumatology! The organization represents over 9,400 rheumatologists and rheumatology health professionals around the world. The ACR offers its members the support they need to ensure that they are able to continue their innovative work by providing programs of education, research, advocacy, and practice support.
Membership in this group does not imply that each of these physicians are specializing in autoimmune disease, however. And of course, there are excellent rheumatologists who are not included in this list. But it's another resource for those patients actively searching for good care.

I found it interesting that patient education materials are also located on the site. You can read their page about Sjogren's syndrome here. This is their page on Plaquenil.

No comments: