Wednesday, October 27, 2010

WEGO Health and Me

Image found on Wikimedia


After two consecutive days of sleep......ahhhhh.....which was wonderful......I think my brain cells are finally waking up. So I finally feel able to recount with a reasonable amount of accuracy my experience in recording the dry mouth webinar for WEGO health.

First of all, I'd like to express my appreciation to WEGO for offering me this opportunity. I'm still in some state of disbelief that I was asked to participate - What? People actually read my stuff?! - but am tickled pink that they did. And this group of folks actually have been reading Reasonably Well. What a hoot to listen to their comments and answer questions like, "So did you REALLY practice in your closet?" Um, yes, Tam, I actually did. I had to admit with a laugh that everything that I write is unfortunately true......yep, all those strange Julia-isms actually exist.  

When Terese and I arrived at the filming session we were greeted warmly by everyone. I was nervous beyond belief, but was immediately put at ease when Neil put his arm around my shoulder and said, "I'm going to be your very best friend today," and went on to demonstrate the teleprompter. He was right. He AND that teleprompter were invaluable. WEGO's Melissa had thoughtfully provided a case of water among other essentials - she knew what a sjoggie would need - and was quick to offer encouragement, support, lots of smiles, and the offer to help out in whatever way she could.

We began filming under the calm and confident direction of Brian, and the hours flew by. I have to say everyone was extremely patient with a newbie such as myself, particularly when I actually burped into the microphone......oops. Yes, burped. I actually downed a big-gulp size soda minutes before filming. Oh, brother.

Terese quickly ingratiated herself with the crew and before long was pressed into service as an assistant grip. She held monitors and handed water bottles with the very best of them. She was quick to hand Kleenex when the hot lights made me perspire and pointed out hair and scarf and makeup issues. Hm. I don't recall seeing any of her interpretive dance, however. Even though it was discussed repeatedly....

When Dr. V, arrived, things moved along quickly. Adrenaline, caffeine, and Provigil kept me going strong for much of the session but as the last few hours wore on, I could feel my energy wane and my voice fade. Luckily by that point, I had few on-camera responsibilities, so I could begin to relax. Before I knew it, I actually heard Brian say, "That's a wrap!" and I began to melt into my chair.

Wow. After all of the discussion, planning, script revisions, angst and excitement, it was over. We hugged all around and headed back to our hotel. Terese ordered up some excellent celebratory mango margaritas and we relaxed and shared our perspectives on the big event.

So that's my story as my first - and probably last - experience in film. Should I ever be granted another opportunity, I would be able to use a few things that I have learned during this go-around: First - NO SODA POP CONSUMED BEFORE SHOOT. Geez. Secondly: Gas X. Definitely. Third: I would attempt to relax and enjoy the experience more. Although this may be a tall order. And fourth: Don't forget to bring along Terese. Couldn't have done it without her.

If I haven't mentioned it before, I want to recommend a visit to WEGO health, which is an extensive collection of health activists who have a desire to share their experiences with others on an amazing range of health topics. Check it out.

No comments: