My blackberry cupcakes were a very tasty success. Yummy and sweet.
Sweetness far more authentic was found in this precious one week old bundle of baby boy.
Lucky me -- I was able to hold them both. What? You silly persons. No. Not at the same time.
Here's the cupcake recipe as promised, found on the fabulous The Brewer and the Baker food blog.
Blackberry Cupcakes with Blackberry Buttercream Frosting
- 3 6 oz packs blackberries
- 1/3 cup milk, at room temperature
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks butter unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 Tbsp meringue powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup blackberry puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare two muffin pans with liners.
- Puree blackberries in a food processor or blender. Scrape into a fine mesh sieve set over a bowl. With a rubber spatula, work the blackberries through the sieve, leaving seeds behind. Remove 1/4 cup of puree for the frosting. Your mileage may vary but you should have ~2/3 cup of blackberry puree leftover.
- In small bowl, combine puree, milk, egg, lemon juice, and mix with fork until well blended. In bowl of stand mixer, add sifted flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Continue beating at slow speed and add butter. Mix until combined and resembling moist crumbs.
- Add liquids and beat at medium speed for about 1 minute or until full and evenly combined. Stop mixer to scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for 30 more seconds. Fill cupcake liners ~3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center cupcake in each pan comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans and then transfer to a covered plate.
- To make the frosting, cream butter and extracts until smooth.
- Mix in confectioner’s sugar, meringue powder, and salt and beat 2-3 minutes on high.
- Add blackberry puree and beat for an additional minute. Adjust consistency, if desired, with additional confectioner's sugar or water.
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated Classic White Cake
Estimated time: 45 minutes